[NAFEX] Royalty crab-apple: edible or not?

Dr. Lucky Pittman lucky.pittman at murraystate.edu
Wed Sep 14 16:49:30 EDT 2011

Sarah,
When I was a kid(40+ years ago), my mom made crabapple jelly from the fruits
of whatever red-fleshed/rosybloom ornamental crabs that were planted on the
grounds of the Holiday Inn motel at Auburn AL, that my dad managed.
I have no idea what variety they were, but were prodigious producers of
tasty(to us kids, anyway) 3/4 to 1" dark red, red-fleshed crabapples.
So...my answer would be YES, if she has enough fruit to work with, I'll
guess that they'd make a good jelly - may not even need any added pectin.

Lucky