[NAFEX] Pear recommendations for a single home tree?

Lon J. Rombough lonrom at hevanet.com
Wed Sep 14 16:33:12 EDT 2011

The old Seckel is outstanding for fresh eating and the fruit is colorful.

-Lon Rombough
Grapes, writing, consulting, book, The Grape Grower, at http://www.bunchgrapes.com  Winner  GWA "Best Talent in Writing"  2003.
Grape pruning video: http://www.bunchgrapes.com/dvd.html View a short, low resolution clip here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q58zFY0B1M
A video about The Grape Grower : http://cookingupastory.com/index.php/2008/04/18/the-grape-grower/

On Sep 14, 2011, at 12:48 PM, Jay Cutts wrote:

Any suggestions for the best fresh eating pear? We're looking for
something for our front yard, probably a single tree.  Ornamental
qualities would be a plus, such as fall color or a red pear. My main
interest, though, is one that will taste great.  Are all pears pretty
equal on this or does anyone have any recommendations?

Regards,

Jay

Jay Cutts
Director, Cutts Graduate Reviews
Lead Author, Barron's Test Prep Publications
800-353-4898 day or eve, 7 days
(In NM, 505-281-0684)

On 9/14/2011 1:16 PM, Sarah Kehler Ewing wrote:
> I have a friend wondering if she can use Royaltry crab-apples for jelly.  Anyone have personal experience?  My Royalty tree is still sitting in its 5 gallon pot awaiting transplanting!  lol
>
> She's too far away for me to taste them for her, but my guess was that if they are high in tannin (as judged by tasting) that they won't make good jelly.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Sarah
> zone 3
> Edmonton, AB
Subscribe, unsubscribe, change your user configuration or find out more about the list here: