[NAFEX] OT - Zuchinni pollenation

Caren Kirk quirky at videotron.ca
Sun Sep 11 08:19:47 EDT 2011

  For two years in a row I basically have had zero zuchinni prtoduction.
I thought that last year I was potentially overcrowding them in my main
vegetable bed (however they had been happy there in the past), so this
year I gave them a whole separate bed. Despite an abundance of blossoms
they will not set fruit. So I am questioning if any pollenators are
visiting them.

Other vegetables are being pollenated at the same time (e.g. eggplant,
tomtaoes, cucumbers, beans) so there must be some pollenators around.
I've seen on the internet about hand-pollenating them but to be honest,
it seems like a lot of hard work in the middle of summer.

Does anyone have any experience with this problem?

Thanks,

Caren Kirk
St. Jerome QC