[NAFEX] Off Topic - Homemade carbonated drinks

Alexander Brands abb7 at Lehigh.EDU
Wed Sep 7 16:32:53 EDT 2011

> Message: 9
> Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2011 09:59:22 -0600
> From: Jay Cutts <orders at cuttsreviews.com>
> Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Off Topic - Homemade carbonated drinks
> To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex at lists.ibiblio.org>
>
> Actually I'm wondering if it might be that raisins or ginger already
> have yeasts on their surface that might speed things up.  After all, the
> yeast is really attracted to sugar, so sugar alone should do the trick
> but if there are yeasts present on the raisins or ginger or other fruit,
> that's what would speed it up.  Could it be something like that?
>
> Regards,
>
> Jay

Yes, that's a much more plausible explanation.  There's a common myth
that yeast spores are just flying around in the air of your kitchen.
It's really common in articles about starting a sourdough culture.
For sourdough, the reality is that yeast are present in the flour
already, they're not coming from the air.  Furthermore, yeast have no
way to move in a directed fashion,  they can't move at all on their
own, so to say they are "attracted" to something doesn't really mean
anything.  So it's not that yeast are attracted to the sugar and seek
it out, it's just that the sugar supports the growth of yeast that are
already there.

Alex