[NAFEX] Off Topic - Homemade carbonated drinks

Jay Cutts orders at cuttsreviews.com
Mon Sep 5 15:30:58 EDT 2011

Since we're talking about food, here's a favorite summer preparation. It
can be made with fruit or with other sugar sources (maple syrup, for
example, but not honey.)

This is a rough recipe for making a gallon of home made carbonated
drink. I like to make it with ginger. I blend up fresh ginger (maybe
half of a piece you'd get in the store) and strain it so I just have the
liquid. Pour the liquid into the gallon jug.  Add some maple syrup.
"Some" is a technical measure! You have to try out proportions for
yourself. I put maybe a half a cup or so for a gallon of water.  By the
way, I usually blend the ginger pulp in water a few times to get out all
the good stuff. Then I top up the jug.  I like to add the juice of one
lime, sometimes more. This is all to taste by experimenting.

Now you add maybe a teaspoon of bread yeast. I actually keep the yeast
culture going in the jug once I have it started, so I don't need to add
any more each time. In fact the yeast grows and increases as time goes
on. The first time you can use the bread yeast and if you want, you can
proof it first (put it in a small amount of warm water with some sugar
until it starts to show signs of activity.)

Put the jug in a warm spot. In cooler weather I put it in the oven with
the oven light on.  It only takes about 6 to 8 hours for the brew to be
finished. Chill it before opening, as it may bubble over otherwise when
you open it. The jug needs to have a tight lid to hold in the
carbonation but if you let this go too long, there is the danger of too
much pressure build up.

The drink is very refreshing and costs a fraction of buying carbonated
drinks or carbonated water. It has a slight yeasty flavor, which you may
have to get used to before you start appreciating it. The yeast
provides  certain vitamins, so enjoy it.

There is no reason that  you can't add anything you want to the basic
concept - a sugar, water and some yeast. I've added fruit juices or
pulps (pulps tend to make the jug a bit messy) and even have a gallon of
fizzy solution of Rose's Lime Juice at the moment, which is a big hit.

If your result is not very fizzy or if it lacks sweetness, add some
sweetener. It will continue to ferment slowly even in the fridge,
gradually becoming fizzier and less sweet. One word of caution is that
honey doesn't work very well. It seems that many yeasts can't handle honey.

If your brew is very fizzy (especially when you first open it) you'll
find that as you pour it, it kicks up the yeast goop from the bottom and
you have to stop pouring.  With time and as the jug becomes emptier, the
fizz decreases.

Regards,

Jay

Jay Cutts
Director, Cutts Graduate Reviews
Lead Author, Barron's Test Prep Publications
(800) 353-4898
In New Mexico, (505) 281-0684
10 am to 10 pm Mountain Time, 7 days