[NAFEX] American plum (wild plum; P. americana) - Discussion of edibility.

Steven Covacci filtertitle at aol.com
Sun Sep 4 00:27:19 EDT 2011

Group:

This is, for the most part, a re-visit of a topic I initiated last year regarding the edibility of certain native wild plum species, particularly American plum (P. americana), Chickasaw plum (P. angustifolia), wild-goose plum/Munson's plum (P. munsoniana) and Canadian plum (P. nigra) - these in comparison to beach plum (P. maritima).

How edible is American plum (P. americana)?  I've only tasted beach plum (excellent).  I have seedling American plums from Oikos, from St. Lawrence (NYS), and from the wild of Pennsylvania.  I wonder how these would compare, in terms of edible characteristics:

*to beach plum
*to the celebrated (historically - and by Ken Asmus) wild-goose plum cv. 'wild goose'
*to Canadian plum
*to Chickasaw plum
*or if you've never tried other native wild plums, just your impression of American plum alone

Some say that American plum is incredibly astringent and not very good for fresh eating; others say that it's delicious - just discard the astringent skin.  If you comment on this topic, please be sure that you are describing your personal experience with American plum (not other wild plums, such as mexican plum, Chickasaw plum, Allegheny plum, or naturalized European plum, etc.)  Keep in mind, this is not a topic that includes issues of cultivation - including its potential to sucker undesirably.

One report suggests that wild-goose plum (P. munsoniana) is the best of the wild plums for fresh eating; another (an old text) suggests that wild-goose plum is no better (flavor-wise) then most wild American plums (P. americana), but has better disease resistance.

Thanks,
Steve; NJ 6b/7a