[NAFEX] Self fertile Nanking Cherry

David Malas info4today at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 28 12:28:40 EDT 2011

The Nanking Cherry "Orient" was described as being a self-fertile variety.  I bought one from Henry Field about 25-30 years ago and grew it here in Minneapolis. I imagine the birds scattered the seeds far and wide.  I no longer have it, but, yes, some are self-fertile.  There would be a few stragglers of this cultivar around.  I'm told that it will also pollinate the Manchurian apricot varietes, too, which some people attempt to grow in the nortern plains.

David Malas,
Minneapolis