[NAFEX] Peach bark damage

Caren Kirk quirky at videotron.ca
Wed Jul 27 15:31:32 EDT 2011

  Jay,

I had an ornamental cherry that did well for many years until the year
before last when we started to have a severe ant problem. There seemed
to be damage to the bark on the trunk along one side, as you describe
(about 3 inches, bark dry and crumbling). A deer is now a very rare
around here in my surburban neighbourhood ( and I have never ever seen a
buck, only a rare glimpse of a doe passing through and that was about 7
years ago), so I'm 100% sure it wasn't antler damage. The tree had a
severe problem with ants (and ant-protected aphids). It was very
strange, the ants seemed to try an enter the trunk at this damaged part.

In the end the tree continued to deteriorate despite me trying to prune
of sections which seemed to be suffering the most, and despite trying to
control the aphids and the ants. In the end we had to cut the whole
thing off at the base. Luckily it was a cherry that suckered profusely
so we just chose the best looking sucker and encouraged it  to grow to
replace the old tree.

The sucker is now about 6 feet. Needless to say we are very vigilant
about monitoring the ant situation these days.

Good luck with your peach, I would seriously try and get the ants under
control if you want to give it a chance.

Caren Kirk
St. Jerome, QC