[NAFEX] evans/bali cherry

Dr. Lucky Pittman lucky.pittman at murraystate.edu
Mon Jul 25 11:22:33 EDT 2011

I purchased a tissue-cultured Bali(Evans) from SLN, back around 1996 - and
Bill McK denoted its discovery by Dr. Evans in his description.
Mine has been suckering profusely for years, with suckers popping up as far
as 40 ft away from the 'mother' plant.
Believe I recall Bernie Nikolai relating his experience, a number of years
back, that not all - maybe one out of three? - Evans/Bali trees would sucker
like this.

It's not an acceptable selection here on the KY/TN line; blooms and bears
too late for the bug pressures present, and bears sparingly here, at that.
It's just been a total loser for me.
But...photos I've seen of it in fruit, from friends in Canada, suggest that
it's really well-suited to that colder climate.  If I lived in a z4 setting
or colder, I'd certainly want it in my plantings.

Lucky Pittman
Hopkinsville, KY