[NAFEX] evans-bali cherry

Hélène Dessureault interverbis at videotron.ca
Mon Jul 25 09:18:46 EDT 2011

Greetings,

For all its worth, I have an Evans tree (more like a big bush) sending lots
of suckers. I transplanted the suckers and now the suckers are producing
fruits and I cannot tell the difference between the original Evans cherries
and the fruit produced on the suckers...

Transplanting the suckers would appear to be a practical way of reproducing
this Evans cherry tree, which would become quite invasive otherwise... I do
not understand the connection evans-bali, maybe it was explained and I just
missed it...

Evans trees are unfortunately quite susceptible to gummose, an infection
oozing orange sap which affects wild cherry trees such as prunus
pensylvanica in this area... so I transplant suckers suspecting that the
original tree won't last very long. The cherries are delectable, the issue
being to get to them before the birds...

Hélène, zone 3-4
North of Ottawa