[NAFEX] evans-bali cherry

Douglas Woodard dwoodard at becon.org
Sun Jul 24 17:08:22 EDT 2011

Ernest, Bill Mackentley makes it pretty clear in his catalogue listing

http://www.sln.potsdam.ny.us

that "Bali" is Evans.

He also states that his Bali trees as sold are considerably smaller than
his other "pie cherries," which sounds to me as if they are grown from
tissue cultured plants while his others are grafted.

To Steve:

Articles which can be found on the internet state that Evans/Bali does
best on the Canadian Prairies on soil which is "not too fertile" and
there are suggestions that on rich moist soil it may not be as
cold-hardy. If you are interested, search on "Evans cherry."

There are also statements that many attempts have been made to grow
seedlings of Evans and that they are generally inferior in both quality
and cold-hardiness. The reason that Evans was only grown from suckers
until tissue culture was commercialized is apparently that there was no
conveniently available rootstock that was hardy enough and reliably
compatible.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada

[snip]