[NAFEX] Multi-fig tree: several in same hole OR that and pleached?

Steven Covacci filtertitle at aol.com
Sun Jul 17 21:52:33 EDT 2011

Group:

I intend to have a multi-fig variety tree-shrub.

I've seen the popular video online which presents a 3-in-1 pleached fig tree.  If all three died to the ground, you could re-pleach; if 1 or 2 of the 3 survived you'd have dead wood wrapped-up in the mix.

In any case, what about planting say 5 or 7 fig varieties - each placed so that they form a circle just a few inches apart.  Then they would each expand until all trunks will fuse into a single trunk from which all the varieties would radiate for just a portion each?

How does this sound?

Steve, NJ (6b/7a)