[NAFEX] Will medlars experience long-term graft rejection on native hawthorn or Asian pear roostock?

david liezen chandos49 at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 9 14:28:41 EDT 2011

Steve:

  If you've got something already to graft onto, it's at least worth a try, but I hope someone can give you a definitive answer as to what will work with medlar.
  Looking at the Raintree catalog, I see they offer OHxF333 pear rootstock, which may be of use to you. It reads:
"This Old Home x Farmingdale cross, Brooks selection, (abbrreviated OHxF) produces a tree that can be maintained at 15 feet tall. Compatible with all pear varieties, it can also be used as a dwarfing understock for Asian pears or medlar but not for quince. It induces early production and is winter hardy to at least -20 degrees F. It does well on a variety of soils."

I bought two of these this spring in preparation for chip bud grafting, later this year, from a European pear in a friend's yard. Both root stocks are doing fine. They were inexpensive, $3.50 each, and would have been cheaper per piece if I had had need for more of them.
Medlar sounds like an interesting (and ancient, didn't the Ice Man found in the Tyrol have some?) choice. Good liuck,

Dave Liezen, Spokane WA, z6 where the D'Arcy Spice and Lord Lambourne benchgrafts planted this spring are at least 7" tall and doing fine.