[NAFEX] nafex Digest, Vol 102, Issue 8

Lon J. Rombough lonrom at hevanet.com
Fri Jul 8 18:24:09 EDT 2011

I have three varieties of pears grafted on Crataegus douglasii over 40 years ago.  The species makes a good semi dwarf pear stock if you do a bit of sucker control.
Other Genera that have shown graft compatibility with pears include Amelanchier, Aronia, Sorbus, Photinia, Cotoneaster, etc.  Look at the list of pome fruits at the Corvallis branch of the NCGR as it includes species known to be cross and graft compatible with Pyrus.
- Lon Rombough
Grapes, writing, consulting, book, The Grape Grower, at http://www.bunchgrapes.com  Winner  GWA "Best Talent in Writing"  2003.
Grape pruning video: http://www.bunchgrapes.com/dvd.html View a short, low resolution clip here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q58zFY0B1M
A video about The Grape Grower : http://cookingupastory.com/index.php/2008/04/18/the-grape-grower/