[nafex ibiblio list] Fwd: Please Help Us Preserve Historic Apple Varieties

david.maxwell at dal.ca david.maxwell at dal.ca
Thu Dec 29 12:52:29 EST 2011

This raises a larger issue.  There are government-sponsored germplasm repositories in most
countries, (some better than others), whose mission is precisely this.  Where does support
from the public purse end and the responsibility of private afficionados take up?  (Just
parethetically, I don't think there is any risk of Ben Davis, Gravenstein, or Fameuse (Snow)
being lost, and they would hardly rate as either "rarest" or "most valuable" apple varieties, in
my opinion.  But then I am getting to be an old curmudgeon.)  I am much more concerned by
what might happen to the collections maintained by people like Nick Bottner, which truly are
unique and valuable.