[nafex ibiblio list] Pyrophyllite

Lawrence F. London, Jr. lflj at bellsouth.net
Thu Dec 29 07:21:21 EST 2011

On 12/29/2011 3:24 AM, Judi Stewart wrote:

> I had been picking up granite dust fines from a local quarry and spreading
> about 10 pounds under each fruit tree canopy.  Then I added the rock dust to
> a working compost, applied it after a time and saw that this method was an
> improvement. But the little I've been able to find out about the
> agricultural uses of pyrophyllite, tells me that this clay is an outstanding
> soil amendment and far superior to other clays or dusts.  I'm in western
> Washington, did as you suggested and found mines in California and Oregon.

That's great Judi. Could you give me the link to the info about it being
a superior product? Glad you will at least be able to find some fairly
near you. Another idea: call Piedmont Minerals, Martin Marietta or the
companies owning the mines you located in California and Oregon ans ask
them if there are any sources in your immediate area.

Here's a description of how I used rock dusts mixed by a skid loader
with manures and compost to build the soil on my 6+ acre farm.
<>
I have used on my 6+ acre farmland Yeoman's plows, giant hiller bedder
cultivator
(https://picasaweb.google.com/103223907782626104592/TractorEquipment),
rotavator, hundreds of tons of several types of rock dusts, hundreds of
tons of manures and compost, greensand, azomite, rock and colloidal
phoshate and assorted other natural soil amendments. I did a once for
all time massive soil building program then sold all the equipment and
now work my beds by hand, basically no or minimum till
(https://picasaweb.google.com/103223907782626104592/GardenTools). I am
now in the camp of no till with minimum till when absolutely necessary,
let weeds or crops take care of weed problems. It works. You would be
surprised at how naturally-occuring stands of goldenrod, ragweed or
daisy and lambs quarter will create bare ground underneath them.
<>

LL