[nafex ibiblio list] Temperate Heart of Palm and Fruiting Palm Varieties

Chris Carnevale c.s.carnevale at gmail.com
Tue Dec 27 15:44:57 EST 2011

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone know of palms that are good for heart of palm
production that can be grown in zone 8.  I know that the common palmettos
are edible but grow very slowly.  While on the topic, anyone have any
recommendations for edible fruiting palms as well?  There are a lot of
trees around here that drop really sweet yellow fruit, but I'm not sure if
they are safe or good for eating--any thoughts?

Thanks and happy holidays,

Chris Carnevale
Charleston, SC