[nafex ibiblio list] Pyrophyllite (was Re: Meyers Lemon picture)

Judi Stewart js at olympus.net
Sun Dec 25 23:00:06 EST 2011

Lawrence,

Please tell me more about your use of pyrophyllite and where would I find
some?

Thank you,

Judi

Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 10:47:24 -0500

From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflj at bellsouth.net>

Subject: Re: [nafex ibiblio list] Meyers Lemon picture

To: nafex at lists.ibiblio.org

The plant is very tenacious, especially with regard to fruit drop, I lost
only a very few (under 6) early on. The fruit really holds fast to the
branching; it takes a lot of work to pick them, two hands for each lemon
usually and sometimes requiring breaking the small branches or twisting the
fruit off. Regarding flavor, I have eaten tastier ones, sweeter but mine are
good. I will try adding rock dusts to the soil mix for remineralization,
flavor, fruit keeping qualities and hardiness.

This will include azomite, pyrophyllite and granite dusts. The pyrophyllite
promotes amazing feeder root growth, ideal for vegetable and herb starts as
well as fruit seedlings of all sizes and types.

The best Meyer lemons I have eaten came from a local natural food store and
were large but under small orange size, oblong mostly, very thin and smooth
skinned. These were on the sweet side. I think they may have come from
Mexico. Could they have been grown in volcanic or otherwise highly
mineralized soils?

LL