[nafex ibiblio list] [Bulk] Re: NAFEX fora

sherwin sherwindu at att.net
Tue Dec 20 21:24:09 EST 2011

On 12/20/2011 5:47 PM, Chris Garriss wrote:
> And, for what it's worth,  I am in full agreement and support of Lawrence.
>
> I manage a couple of lists - with one of them a closed list.  The closed
> list is quite small, but I spend more time on that one than the other 3
> combined.
>
> Further, even if Lawrence was willing to take on the task I would oppose
> the change.   Over time this list has "evolved".  The majority of the list
>
> members - including some of the most frequently posting ones that offer a
> tremendous amount of help may not be members of the North American Fruit
> Explorers.   Eliminating them from the list would be an ill conceived move
>
> - and might well push people away from joining the organization.
>
> In addition to the web site and forums the organization has created,  they
>
> could set up a more "user friendly" list in addition to the forums.   And
> it could be a closed list.  But, I don't think, from what I've heard off
> and on the list, that a majority of the users here would move.
      I think if Nafex set up another list on their web page, it would
be confusing to members
      who would not know which one to view or go to for assistance.  I
think the main reason
      Nafex people are not using the web forum now is that is is
cumbersome.  It is divided
      into several subdivisions requiring more checking.  Their search
function is very poor,
      if not useless.  It is organized more like a blog, so finding
things of interest interspersed
      between all possible chit chat makes for more confusion.  Blogs
are good for chit chat,
      but not for carrying on technical discussions.  I think the Nafex
forum will die a natural
      death, to be used only by people who just want to socialize with
each other.

                                Sherwin Dubren