[nafex ibiblio list] Meyers Lemon picture

Lawrence F. London, Jr. lflj at bellsouth.net
Tue Dec 20 10:47:24 EST 2011

> On 12/20/2011 7:34 AM, mIEKAL aND wrote:
> I get good pollination and take on mine but other the
>> course of the year most fall off one by one (or are knocked off by
>> something) and I end up with 6 or 7 very large lemons.

The plant is very tenacious, especially with regard to fruit drop, I
lost only a very few (under 6) early on. The fruit really holds fast to
the branching; it takes a lot of work to pick them, two hands for each
lemon usually and sometimes requiring breaking the small branches or
twisting the fruit off. Regarding flavor, I have eaten tastier ones,
sweeter but mine are good. I will try adding rock dusts to the soil mix
for remineralization, flavor, fruit keeping qualities and hardiness.
This will include azomite, pyrophyllite and granite dusts. The
pyrophyllite promotes amazing feeder root growth, ideal for vegetable
and herb starts as well as fruit seedlings of all sizes and types.
The best Meyer lemons I have eaten came from a local natural food store
and were large but under small orange size, oblong mostly, very thin and
smooth skinned. These were on the sweet side. I think they may have come
from Mexico. Could they have been grown in volcanic or otherwise highly
mineralized soils?

LL