[nafex ibiblio list] Meyers Lemon picture

Lawrence F. London, Jr. lflj at bellsouth.net
Mon Dec 19 18:39:35 EST 2011

On 12/19/2011 5:56 PM, Rosholdt wrote:
> Hey, what am I doing wrong with my Meyers Lemon?  It won't even bear
> more than one or two - and that one in the last post looks impressive!

It is inside now and filled with blooms and huge lemons to pick for many
weeks to come. I will take a picture tomorrow & post it.

I bought it from a nursery nearby. It was already bearing a few fruit
then. I repotted it, kept it outdoors in warm weather and inside in
cold. Actually I left it outside for several winters but covered it with
many layers of discarded blankets and tarps. It is a vigorous grower
putting out much new branching. I have had no problems with insects or
disease.

In the pot with the tree is potting soil, topsoil, seed starting mix,
compost, dried chicken manure, granulated seaweed, rock phosphate,
greensand, azomite and some black gold from bags of alfalfa meal that
got wet and converted in situ to thick, dark, spongy humus.

Try some or all of those amendments and look forward to a tree filled
with bent sagging branches dripping with fruit and when in bloom it will
fill the air with its sweet fragrance. A week ago I left the shop door
open and honeybees came in and foraged in the blooms. If I get one fruit
for each bloom I see the branches will need some serious support,
maybe a lightweight bamboo lattice. The bearing branches are amazingly
strong and resilient. Tiny twigs can have several large lemons on them.
If one breaks partway it will repair itself and continue to feed the
developing fruit.

Good luck.

LL