[nafex ibiblio list] ibiblio list [NAFEX]

jeff linuxasm at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 13:48:21 EST 2011

I've been thinking about inducements to join NAFEX and easy ways handle
the work.  One idea that won't go away is a simple database of member
plantings.  It has to be simple, easy to provide, and contain key
information.  For me a count of what succeeds/fails by zone would be
enough. I can look at the counts and tell when a plant is on the edge of
its zone and how well it handles all the sub-zones. This is a crude
measure, but improves over time.

  A membership committee could handle this and be given a free
membership to NAFEX as thanks.  It could be a option on the membership
form along with a box to automatically sign up for the ibiblio list. I'm
wondering if a database like this would motivate anyone to join NAFEX?
Would they be willing to provide the information?

One argument against this is that root stock and other information is
needed. For myself, the success/fail counts will eliminate the need for
details.   Promising plants can be research in archives and more
information obtained. I can check success/fail counts in adjacent zones
and get even more information.  This database could have saved me a lot
of money when my orchard was started.
Jeff