[NAFEX] nafex Digest, Vol 107, Issue 17

Lawrence F. London, Jr. lflj at bellsouth.net
Sat Dec 17 21:49:56 EST 2011

On 12/17/2011 1:40 PM, Neil Lewis wrote:

> One positive step that could immediately be taken is to make the online
> forum open to all viewers and not password protected.

With that in mind I made exactly that change to the list configuration
and added message archive search cqapability through the Google site:
search command, which is (it is also on the list homepage and in each
message's footer info:

Google command to search the Nafex list message archives:
omit the brackets above and type this into your Google search dialog box
top right on your web browser screen
Ex.:
site: lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/nafex calamondin

It will take  day or so for Google to fully index the message archives
but by then you will be able to do some detailed searches with amazing
results. For starters try it on my permaculture list:
Google command to search the permaculture list message archives:
omit the brackets above and type this into your Google search dialog box
top right on your web browser screen
Ex.:
site: lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/permaculture nafex

> Perhaps only NAFEX  members could contribute,

That is still the case. I have also added considerable new information
for subscribers, i.e. how to use their account plus links to the NAFEX
site (also in the message footer, a link to the forum).

> but it should be something anyone can see.
> This is common with forums on the web. We are stabbing ourselves in the
> foot by not allowing anyone with an interest in fruit to see it.

It is that way now. If there are any objections to any of this please
let me know by email or by posting here. If we need to generate
consensus on this issue that can be done as well.

> (Incidentally, I like online forums. One problem with the email system
> is that we get a lot of repetition in the posts from the preceding
> posts; it is also easy to search online forums for material.)

Forums have their pluses.
I have another set of resources to add to this list which I will
announce soon.

On 12/17/2011 7:02 PM, jeff wrote:

 > My preference is for NAFEX to embrace this list and use it for reminders
 > and a membership drive.  Think of it as free advertising.

That is a great idea.

 > Would a NAFEX manual that summaries the information on this
 > list be a incentive to join?

This information can be gleaned from this list's message archives
through careful use of the Google site: command, as described above.

 >It could be a PDF file that is updated by
 > volunteers?  Another incentive would be plant lists that fit various
 > areas.  I've found many fruit trees are very fussy about location.  It
 > is very difficult to find good information about trees adapted to a
 > area.  Most of my neighbors grow what they find in nurseries.   They
 > miss out on a lot of superior trees.  I keep a list of trees that failed
 > here and it is much longer than my successes.  Another important piece
 > of information is how well trees do without care.  Some trees need to be
 > sprayed and others manage to survive.  This would be very useful
 > information.
 >
 > We have a local fruit organization which provides some of this
 > information, but a national focus would help identify new plants and
 > cover more plant niches.

Excellent idea!

 > Jeff, Oregon zone 7

Lawrence London