[NAFEX] NAFEX question - Very sorry to see NAFEX in present stae.

Dr. Chiranjit Parmar parmarch_mnd at dataone.in
Fri Dec 16 22:20:18 EST 2011

Dear all,

I have been associated with NAFEX for over two decades.  I was told about
this organization by one English fruit breeder at EUCARPIA meeting in
Czechoslovakia (at that time it was one) in 1986.  After hearing my lecture
on Himalayan wild fruits (first in any international gathering) he advised
me to join NAFEX as he felt my work related more to the NAFEX aims and
objectives.  He also sent me an old copy of POMONA.  I joined NAFEX, wrote a
few articles in POMONA on some Himalayan wild fruits which evoked a lot of
interest and I received hundreds of handwritten letters from the readers.  I
am still retaining those and treat them as one of the best testimonials of
my work.

In 2004 I also attended the NAFEX Annual Conference at Columbia, Missouri,
and was greatly excited to meet many persons who had been corresponding with
me.

I could note that decline had set in in this wonderful organization.  I also
made a few suggestions at the Board of Directors Meeting which were not
taken positively by all members.

I feel that the cause of decline has been the RIGID and ORTHODOX attitude of
the members.  World is now not limited to North America.  It has extended
much beyond that after internet and other modern means of communications.
Fruit exploration work now should be at GLOBAL level and not restricted to
North America as is thought by the senior founding members.  We must change
and keep pace with time in matters of modernatity otherwise we shall lag
behind and will gradually perish.  That is what has happened to NAFEX.

I really feel sorry for the state of NAFEX.  But it can be revived if
members change their outlook.

I feel personally indebted to NAFEX as it was because of NAFEX I started
getting international exposure about my work.  Therefore I would like to do
something for this ONE TIME wonderful organization.  I had made a few
suggestions also but the top brass did not like it.

Dr. Chiranjit Parmar
186/3 Jail Road
Mandi HP 175001, India
01905-222810; 094181-81323