[NAFEX] Looking South

Scott Smith scott at cs.jhu.edu
Fri Dec 16 08:45:31 EST 2011

David, I agree on the fuzzy kiwis, they have also been one of the most positive surprises for me in Maryland.  I have yet to lose a crop due to freeze or have any winter dieback on them, and they are highly prolific and tasty.  I have had good luck getting Saanichton to harvest in time; I harvest them in mid-November and put them in the fridge until February, at which point they are delicious.  Elmwood I have heard likes a somewhat longer season; mine died and I didn't replace it.  Several other fuzzy varieties I had required too long of a season, so it is important to get varieties with short seasons.  Exbury and Blake are two other varieties with supposedly shorter seasons but they have not fruited for me yet.

I am also thinking of re-planting some muscadines.  They generally did OK for me but every few years I got significant dieback on some varieties.  I expect there are a few varieties more hardy which would do fine.  I pulled them because they were in too shady a spot and were never going to fruit.

Scott z7 MD