[NAFEX] Sour cherry cultivars for zone 6b/7a

Steven Covacci filtertitle at aol.com
Sat Dec 10 22:28:40 EST 2011

Group:
I just learned that, perhaps, planting an 'Evans' (aka 'Bali') sour cherry (P. cerasus) in zones warmer then 4 or 5 might result in a tree which is a failure: less productive and more prone to insects ruining the fruit - that there would not be enough chill hours.
Hopefully, my 'North Star' will be fine.
What is a sour cherry that is not a hybrid (i.e. w/P. tomentosa) that would be good for zone 6b/7a?
Lastly, speaking on sour cherry hybrids, does anyone think that the SK dwarf sour cherry series will do ok for me, or too hot here?

Thanks,
Steve; NJ 6b/7a