[NAFEX] Parafilm

david.maxwell at dal.ca david.maxwell at dal.ca
Fri Dec 9 12:37:48 EST 2011

I use it exclusively for budding.  (For whip-and-tongue grafts I generally use electrical tape).
But one major advantage emerged last year when I was supplied with scion wood which was
well out of dormancy, beginning to leaf out in fact.  I wrapped both the graft and the entire
scion, including the tip end, with parafilm.  The parafilm maintained the moisture in the scion
until it successfully callused. (I actually had 15" growth in that first year.) Highly
recommended, but not used locally by the commercial growers. (I had considerable difficulty
obtaining it because the local ag supply place didn't stock it.  Eventually found some in rolls
only 1/2 inch wide, but this seems to work quite satisfactorily.  A practical detail: if you leave
the roll rattling around in your bag of grafting supplies the knocks by the other things in the
bag tend to cause the layers to fuse together on the roll, at which point it tends to break when
you try to unroll it for use.  So, protect it from external trauma.