[NAFEX] Parafilm

tanis cuff tanistanis at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 8 16:07:08 EST 2011

>From someone who has used it only a little:

Cut from the roll strips 1/2" to 3/4" wide.  Stretch a strip to about double its length (doing this from memory, no parafilm in probably 30 miles) carefully.  You'll probably tear a couple before you get the hang of it.  Wrap around the graft-- I do almost entirely splice-grafts-- starting at the bottom.  Pull it a little snug as you wrap.  Again, you might tear the parafilm, so do a few practice runs.  You end up with a barber shop pole appearance.  The stretched parafilm pretty much sticks to itself, so you don't need to worry about tying or tucking the end of the wrap.

For bench-grafting, proceed to callusing.  For outdoor spring grafting, walk away and try not to bump or mess with it for a couple weeks, except watering the rootstock if needed.  The parafilm will fall apart when the graft expands.

Parafilm allows you to use scions that are ridiculously thin.  Sometimes that's all you can get, so it's nice to have a wrap which works with them.

tc, sWI, mostly open winter so far and night temps way above usual