[NAFEX] Edible Acorns

Dr Lucky Pittman lpittman at murraystate.edu
Mon Dec 5 11:43:09 EST 2011

Robert,
The answer is...probably - though there may not be much difference among
members of the white oak group, unless chinkapin oak(Q.muehlenbergii) is
significantly different, due to its higher fat content.

The Yosemite/Paiute - and probably other western tribes, principally used
Q.kelloggi, a member of the red/black oak group - whether that was due to it
being the predominant oak in their area, or other factors(storability,
flavor, etc.), I don't know.

Lucky