[NAFEX] Hybrid D. kaki?

Elizabeth Hilborn ehilborn at mebtel.net
Sun Dec 4 12:01:38 EST 2011

On 11/29/2011 10:18 PM, Jwlehman at aol.com wrote:
> Is the seed very flat or normal like normal persimmon seeds? If normal
> looking, it likely isn't a hybrid and rescue shouldn't be needed.

I have been off e-mail for awhile, sorry for the belated reply.

When I view the kaki seed alongside 'wild' D. virginiana, I see that the
kaki seed is of a similar shape, but larger and flatter. The kaki seed
is 21 mm long compared to 18 - 19 mm of the virginiana. The kaki is 14mm
wide compared to 11mm of the virginiana seed.

It is harder to measure the height. The kaki seed is plump at the
tapered end but becomes flatter towards the rounder end, whereas the
virginiana doe not decline in height so much over the length of the seed.

Betsy Hilborn