[NAFEX] [ARTICLE] Alcoholic Beverages Made from Icelandic Birch

Douglas Woodard dwoodard at becon.org
Wed Aug 31 18:56:55 EDT 2011

I expect they are made from the sap. It's not a fruit product but I
think somewhat relevant to the list.
See
<http://icelandreview.com/icelandreview/daily_news/Alcoholic_Beverages_Made_from_Icelandic_Birch_0_381546.news.aspx>

Before Norse settlement some 1150 years ago much of Iceland was treed
and the main tree was birch. Sheep farming drastically reduced the tree
cover to almost nothing, but in recent decades there have been
significant efforts at reforestation. Native berries have long been
popular and I am told that recently gardeners have started to plant
apple trees, though spring weather can be rough.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada