[NAFEX] Isons muscadine

Lee Sharp leesharp at cableone.net
Wed Aug 31 11:58:22 EDT 2011

Betsy,
One of my favorite things to do with muscadines is to freeze them. After
picking them wash in sink or large bowl with enough cold tap water to cover
fruit by about an inch and put one hand full of cooking soda in the
bowl/sink , them with your hands roll and tumble the fruit in the soda water
about 30 seconds. Pour that water off and rinse the fruit in about that same
amount of fresh tap cold water. Let drip dry a short while and put fruit in
freezer bags and freeze. They could be placed on a dry towel to dry. When
preparing to eat only take out the amount of fruit you intend to eat
immediately and place them in a colander and run enough hot water over the
fruit to partially thaw. They taste like muscadine flavored popsicles. I do
not eat the skin or seed, just as when eating them fresh and unfrozen. I
find that after frozen any that are let remain in the fridge unfrozen will
not taste good the next day or two. You might want to test just a few. I
enjoy sitting outside on a pretty winter day eating them prepared in the
above manner.

Lee
8b, Ocean Springs,Ms