[NAFEX] Artist revives Marshall strawberry

Betty Mayfield bmayfield at opusnet.com
Tue Aug 30 19:48:36 EDT 2011

To the list,

Picking through Google, it was reported that Marshall was devastated
after World War II by viruses from abroad. It was also said to have a
short shelf life, so not of interest to modern commercial growers.
Thus, no doubt, only small private collections survived. The nicest
story I found was that 800 boxes of Marshalls were shipped from
Bainbridge Island, Wash., to Vancouver, B.C. in the summer of 1939
for the royal visit of King George VI and Queen Elizabeth.

Betty Mayfield
northwest Oregon