[NAFEX] elderberries and the dreaded green goo

Evan kodama at riseup.net
Sat Aug 27 19:39:13 EDT 2011

I have no idea about the goo, but boy the birds have really gone for the Elderberries this year. The wild patch I collected from last year is almost eaten bare. The few wild bushes on my property are bare. Another patch I found earlier in the year that I looked in on a few days ago: bare. I haven't seen the dark clusters on the roadside elders either, which leads me to suspect they've been eaten up too. I really hope I can scrounge enough this week to make medicine for the winter! Otherwise I don't know what I'll do come flu season.

Evan
Southern Appalachia, Zone 6, 2800'