[NAFEX] Tree clones from different nurseries grow differently

Richard L. Wagner rewagner at centurytel.net
Fri Aug 26 15:14:10 EDT 2011

   Plants are not animals. They can not be trained to fetch, roll over,
and sit on command.

A more likely explanation is that the zones numbers are generalizations
that do not take into account a multiplicity of variable growing
conditions. Onset of first major freeze? Is it preceded by a natural
hardening off cycle or does it just come, ZAP, out of the blue. How dry
are the winters, this is in reference to my loss of persimmon trees
last season. A friend 20 miles north at higher elevation didn't lose
any trees but has zero crop this year. Do you have good snow cover? We
are in relatively warm 6b-7a so I doubt that temperature by itself was
the cause. We don't have any winter snow cover. It snows 2-3 times a
season, usually 5-8 inches, and all melts in 2-3 days. Here our
greatest problem is an early warm spring that causes trees to flush
with new growth, buds, flowers and then, ZAP, a dramatic freeze that
catches all the succulent new growth and sometimes causes major injury
or death to the trees especially young ones. When I lived in eastern
Oregon where it was a definite zone 5 we never had that problem with
false springs. When it was cold it stayed cold, enough to keep the
plants in dormancy, and when spring came it stayed.

All men are not created equal and neither are all zones.

   Quoting Alexander Brands :