[NAFEX] a little more on Haskap

John Bunker john.p.bunker at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 10:29:42 EDT 2011

It is my understanding that the honeyberries that many of us planted
years ago (I planted some 25 years ago or so) were from Russian
origin.  Mine fruted one or twice and never again.  The current "crop"
of varieties are from Japanese material.  Hence the Haskap name.
Supposedly these new selections are better at fruiting than the old
stuff.  Berry Blue is the preferred variety for a pollen source.  We
will be offering Berry Blue plus Tundra and Borealis.  We have all
three on trial now on our farm in Maine.  None have fruited yet but
are just getting established.
Best
John Bunker
Fedco