[NAFEX] University researchers working to perfect haskap berries for Canada (Vancouver Sun)

Sarah Kehler Ewing skkewing at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 24 10:40:56 EDT 2011

Haven't tasted wine from them... give me a couple of years!  I haven't had my equipment out since we moved to the farm (trailer didn't have room), but we are in the big house now and getting close to having too much of a couple kinds of fruit.  I would think that wine from them would be distinctive, the jam from them is highly flavoured-not just sugar jell like some other stuff.

I'm surprised that yours are so short: my first planting, which includes the variety Blue Belle, could not be in worse soil and is completely over-run by choking grasses and they are still at the 5'  mark.  But they do well in higher pH soil which is something we have in spades here on the prairies.

The mish mash effect of seedlings is where the fun is! ;0) I had a few seedlings fruit this year: all the ones that made the 12" growth mark last year.  They were very much like the originals, nothing remarkable, but very edible.

Sarah
zone 3
Edmonton, AB