[NAFEX] University researchers working to perfect haskapberries for Canada (Vancouver Sun)

Sarah Kehler Ewing skkewing at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 23 12:35:42 EDT 2011

I know they are in the honeysuckle family, but I haven't seen any signs of them being invasive.  They all stay put right where I planted them and form perfectly shaped nice bushes without a lick of pruning whatsoever.  I haven't bothered to attempt propagating them (aside from growing seedlings which is super easy and also the reason why I have 4.5 125" rows of haskaps/honeyberries), but they sure haven't done it on their own!

I'll give you that they are tough: my first batch is planted in full grassy turf (not lawn, think quack grass and other very tall, totally invasive, impossible to kill, choking grass species) and while they have taken longer to get to 4' tall, they fruit like crazy every year and the berries are not smaller than normal=the ones planted in bare earth.  In fact, this year after I beat back the 5' tall grass, I found that my honeyberries had much larger berries than my friend's very nicer to pick bushes planted in bare earth.  Granted we do have vastly different soils: but their's is #1 great for cropping soil and mine is... well, very heavy clay that is only good for pasture... being surrounded by cow 1/4s should have been our first warning when we were land shopping that the soil in this area is terrible... we really didn't need to pay $300 bucks for soil testing to find out that it has pretty much zero of everything plants need to grow!  sigh.

Sarah
zone 3
Edmonton, AB