[NAFEX] Best time to transplant trees/shrubs: Fall or Spring?

Jay Cutts orders at cuttsreviews.com
Thu Aug 18 13:12:45 EDT 2011

For any of you in climates similar to ours in NM, I'd have to say that
both spring and fall planting are problematic!

Our springs here are dry, unlike most April shower places. We also have
late frosts relative to the warmth that we can have during the earlier
spring. A bareroot tree planted out dormant in March or April will
suffer from occassional lack of water (because of late frost, I can't
turn on the irrigation system until mid-May) and will probably break
dormancy early and get smacked by frost and drying winds and sun. Many
times the plants that I order have already broken dormancy when they
arrive and they rarely survive. A nurseryman once convinced me to plant
a dormant tree in February to make sure it was good and dormant but it
suffered from the above and was dead by May.

I have not typically done fall planting but with our lack of snow cover,
lack of moisture and strong sun and wind, I doubt that a new tree would
make it.

I've had to resort to the following method. When a bareroot tree arrives
in early spring, I pot it up and grow it on in a protected location.
This means a lot of babying. Once frost danger is well past - which also
means I can irrigate regularly - I transplant it into its permanent
place. This method works very well. When I plant the tree up, I put a
couple layers of newspaper into the pot first. When I'm ready to
transplant, I let the pot dry somewhat and can then remove mass of soil
(it of course has not formed a root ball yet) by lifting out the
newspaper and get the tree into its hole with minimal disturbance.

Regards,

Jay

Jay Cutts
Director, Cutts Graduate Reviews
Lead Author, Barron's Test Prep Publications
800-353-4898 day or eve, 7 days
(In NM, 505-281-0684)