[NAFEX] Pawpaws are not dioecious.

Jwlehman at aol.com Jwlehman at aol.com
Tue Aug 16 23:13:05 EDT 2011

In a message dated 8/16/2011 10:41:44 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
qazingulaza at gmail.com writes:

> I'm by no means a pawpaw expert, but my understanding is that
> they are dioescious, meaning the male &female flowers are on separate
> trees.

Hello ~mIEKAL,

Pawpaws are not dioecious Each flower has male and female parts. However in
each flower the anthers release pollen after the receptive period of the
stigma is completed. Also generally the egg and pollen on the same tree are
not compatible. Two genetically different trees are needed for successful
pollination.

Jerry