[NAFEX] Why shouldn't I fertilize 2-year old saplings/seedlings planted t...

Jwlehman at aol.com Jwlehman at aol.com
Tue Aug 16 07:06:49 EDT 2011

Hello Steve,

There are two theories on late summer fertilization. The first and most
common is the trees can put on a late summer spurt of growth that doesn't have
time to harden off before winter and will receive winter freeze damage.
Therefore don't fertilize now.

But I heard one person who does summer fertilization say he believes he
gets more overall growth even if some tips receive damage. The top undamaged
bud breaks out in the spring and growth continues from that point rather than
a lower unfertilized undamaged terminal bud.

My thought is, go ahead and fertilize, expect some winter damage, but
greater overall growth of the trees.

Jerry