[NAFEX] Transplanting Trees and Shrubs

Rosholdt rosholdt at erols.com
Mon Aug 15 15:32:16 EDT 2011

Steve Herje SW Wisconsin Usda zone 3/4

Sent from my U.S. Cellular® Android phone

Steven Covacci <filtertitle at aol.com> wrote:

 > Group:
 >

 > When is the best time to transplant deciduous trees/shrubs: Fall or
Spring? I figure Fall since there will be days when the temperatures are
above 32 F. and root growth can, then, occur; conversely, I would expect
spring just in case reduction of feeder roots could be a problem during
dry weeks, free of snow cover, when further die-back occurs when the
upper-most layer of the ground freezes continually.

 > Thanks,
 > Steve - NJ 6b/7a

In the midAtlantic, the weather is unpredictable with sometimes a
drought or two, either in winter or in spring.  This is then followed by
summer heat and humidity.  In Virginia, we plant in the late fall, (like
November-December for apples) hoping that the winter will give the roots
enough time to adjust before the tough summer season.

If you plant in the spring here in 6c/7a Virginia, you have to do a LOT
of watering that first year.

Barbara Rosholdt
Central Virginia