[NAFEX] Best time to transplant trees/shrubs: Fall or Spring?

david liezen chandos49 at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 12 20:53:09 EDT 2011

  So far I've managed both, here in E. WA, with the majority of plantings in late winter/early spring with dormant stock. Here the ground is wettest (very sandy soil) at the end of winter and spring puts little strain on things, with regular showers through the first half of June. They have a chance to establish well before the 60 day drought we often get in summer. Planting in September is dicy due to dry conditions, but Halloween to Thanksgiving works fine.
  That said, I've had difficulty on occasion with the soil not rich enough for some things. The ducks continue to improve the yard and the success rate rises.

Dave Liezen