[NAFEX] Forum and Pomona

Dr. Chiranjit Parmar parmarch_mnd at dataone.in
Fri Aug 12 10:05:40 EDT 2011

Dear all,

I have been a member of Nafex for over twenty years but had now to
discontinue it much against my wishes as I found the annual dues TOO HIGH by
Indian standards due to high cost of US dollar in India.  I once also
attended a NAFEX Annual Meeting at Columbia.

I have always been pointing out that the organization may not be able to
sustain.  I had suggested in the meeting of Executive Board (Dr. Ethan
Natelsan was  chairman) that let Pomona be printed out of USA as the
printing cost in the US were very high.  I had made some enquiries about it
after I had reached home and had found that the cost here could be one
fourth.  I had also volunteered to get the printed done here in a press in
my neighborhood.  But the ideas was not liked.  Some members had rather
frowned upon the suggestion.

I think the outlook of members is not liberal.  This is the age of
globalization.  To  introduce new fruit varieties, NAFEX should be "North
American" only by name but its approach should be global.  So it should try
to enroll members from other countries.  This has not happened.  Rather
American membership has come down.  I have been observing it and feel very
sorry for the plight of this organization.

There is still time.  Let the organizers adopt a "LIBERAL" outlook and
expand the organization globally.

Though I am no more a member now, but still I shall try to do my best to
help NAFEX in standing up once again.

Dr. Chiranjit Parmar
186/3 Jail Road
Mandi  HP  175001, INDIA