[NAFEX] forum versus email

Road's End Farm organic87 at frontiernet.net
Thu Aug 11 18:23:33 EDT 2011

On Aug 11, 2011, at 5:23 PM, Deb S wrote:

>  We have a plug in to the membership
> software that automatically grants permission to a member to enter
> and post
> in the Forum.  Members do not have to log in to the Forum once they
> have
> entered the website.

But it would still be necessary to log in to the website, no?
otherwise, how would the website know that one is a member?

I think somebody said that I can in some fashion have Firefox
automatically log me in to specific sites even if it's set to wipe all
private history each day. I'll have to investigate this, maybe over
the winter. But in that case presumably anybody who uses such a
computer, or at least anyone who uses that user account, is
automatically logged on; so I certainly wouldn't want to do that for
anything that remotely needed to be secure, which admittedly most
likely doesn't include NAFEX.

Deb, I do appreciate your work on this, though I haven't been to the
forum -- for one thing, I gather I'd need to start by looking up my
membership information, which is probably hanging around somewhere,
most likely in whatever was the last paper issue of Pomona I got,
which may be somewhere in the market van as I used to read this at
market during slow stretches. I suspect what's going on is that forums
are easier to use for some people, and email is easier to use for
others, for reasons having less to do with the technology than with
individual preferences in how to do things. I don't find email a
hassle. I do find forums a hassle.

I don't think anybody said that any single home computer is more
reliable than a good site host. But information saved on a lot of
different home computers, and by the various backup techniques used by
the owners of those computers, as well as saved on line, is more
secure than information only saved by the site host. Also, not
everyone has reliable internet connections; information in one's own
computer may be accessable when the online version isn't.