[NAFEX] collecting wild red raspberry germplasm

Michael Dossett phainopepla at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 11 17:46:26 EDT 2011

Hello everyone,

A few years ago I sent a request to the list asking for people to send me wild black raspberry fruit from across North America for work I was doing as part of my PhD project.  List members were tremndously helpful in that project and it was wildly successful.  We were able to identify multiple sources of insect and disease resistance from the wild material that was assembled, selections from these wild seed lots are being crossed and new selections with superior resistance are being identified in the USDA breeding program in Corvallis, Oregon.   Leftover seed was also deposited in the National Clonal Germplasm Repository so that others with an interest in this genetic material can access it.

Well, I'm at it again.  I'm currently working on a collaborative project between the USDA in Corvallis, and Agriculture and Agri-Foods Canada to identify new sources of useful traits (particularly resistance to phytophthora root rot) in wild red raspberry from across North America.  It is an exciting project that includes modeling using GIS tools and other information to help predict where populations that are likely to carry resistance may be found in the future as well as using genetic markers to identify whether the same genes are involved in conferring resistance from populations across North America or whether certain resistance genes are locally or regionally distinct.  If you would like to know more about this project or would like to help by sending us wild red raspberry fruit or seed, please send me an email and I will get back to you.  The project is starting this fall and we will be collecting seed over the next few seasons so if you think
 you might like to help let me know and I will send you more information as well as a reminder as the season approaches next year.

Thank you all for your help,

Michael Dossett

Michael Dossett
Mission, British Columbia