[NAFEX] Fwd: Forum and Pomona

Leslie Moyer unschooler at lrec.org
Thu Aug 11 17:33:23 EDT 2011

I sent this yesterday but didn't see it go through....I was going to forget about resending it, but then Deb picked the topic up again today.

Begin forwarded message:

From: Leslie Moyer <unschooler at lrec.org>
Date: August 10, 2011 10:38:52 PM CDT
To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex at lists.ibiblio.org>
Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Forum and Pomona

But the switch to the forum presumably is saving no money, correct?  Does the email list cost anything to run?  Does it cost more or less than the forum?  It seems to me like if the members of this list should have been involved in the decision about whether they want to switch to the forum or not.  I may have missed it, but I didn't see any discussion about that here.  I can't think of a better place to get members input about that than here....  I didn't even know there was a forum until it was brought up the last day or two here.  There are already forums out there on "edible landscaping" topics (which include a lot of fruit).  They're much more active and more user-friendly than the NAFEX forum.  Here's one, for example:  http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/edible/  That same general forum site has specific groups to discuss individual plants such as figs, etc.  As good as that forum is, I don't use it either as it is, as Glinda said, a "pull" technology....I have to remember go to there or have a specific reason to do so.

And, re: the assertion that the forums are "easy to use"...I've already been stymied by them.  I logged into the membership page just fine, but when I tried to log onto the forums it gave me an error message and said I had to reset my password (via email, I think) with the forum administrator (or something like that).  Did I do it?  No--I gave up.  I had already waited over 60 seconds for EACH of the three pages to load (members page login, forum page login, forum login failed page)....so three minutes and NO progress viewing even a single thread.  The software seems particularly clunky (which I think added to the download time)--there was one page that loaded and then another "overlay" that loaded over the top of that that also had to load, so each page had to basically load twice.

Leslie Moyer
unschooler at lrec.org
www.ShadyGroveNaturalFarm.com