[NAFEX] Best time to transplant trees/shrubs: Fall or Spring?

Leslie Moyer unschooler at lrec.org
Thu Aug 11 10:42:00 EDT 2011

In Oklahoma, fall is definitely the best time to plant.  Our summers are hot and dry (particularly this year!!) and the trees really benefit from the (wetter) fall + winter + spring in the ground to get their root systems established before having to face their first summer in the ground.  Yet nary a tree or shrub is to be found at local garden centers.  I asked a large garden & landscape center last year why they didn't have a better supply/selection in the fall and they said that they didn't want to be stuck with a lot of inventory over the winter.  At the same time, they acknowledged that fall WAS the best time to plant here.  Now that I have a small nursery myself, I know that part of the problem is that virtually all of the wholesalers supply in the spring, but they quit supplying in the fall.  I get what I can get in the spring (late winter, really) and then I'm S.O.L. (as they say) until the next spring.

Leslie Moyer
unschooler at lrec.org
www.ShadyGroveNaturalFarm.com