[NAFEX] Best time to transplant trees/shrubs: Fall or Spring?

loneroc loneroc1 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 07:11:03 EDT 2011

In the north spring is the best time, so the roots have the summer to establish themselves before the harshest season, winter.  I hear from southerners that fall is best.  The trees take advantage of the mild winter to establish prior to the torrid summers.  I suspect that in the northwest that fall would be preferable, since summers are generally rainless.  I never transplant anything after the early spring unless absolutely necessary.

Steve Herje SW Wisconsin Usda zone 3/4

Sent from my U.S. Cellular® Android phone