[NAFEX] Best time to transplant trees/shrubs: Fall or Spring?

Steven Covacci filtertitle at aol.com
Wed Aug 10 23:29:59 EDT 2011

Group:

When is the best time to transplant deciduous trees/shrubs: Fall or Spring?  I figure Fall since there will be days when the temperatures are above 32 F. and root growth can, then, occur; conversely, I would expect spring just in case reduction of feeder roots could be a problem during dry weeks, free of snow cover, when further die-back occurs when the upper-most layer of the ground freezes continually.

Thanks,
Steve - NJ 6b/7a